Wednesday, May 13, 2009

High School Reunions

Okay, it has been a few weeks since I last posted. My intention is to post at least once a week, but I have two hellacious projects at work that are converging on each other and I’ve been working what feels like non-stop hours. We caught a break today when one client decided that they may need to push things back a bit... which will give me some breathing room.

So, what’s been happening? We’ve continued to work on the backyard and finally got the frontyard fountain up and running for the season. We got up early (for me, anyway) Saturday two weeks ago to go to the Atlanta Zoo’s annual plant sale. They opened at 8:00am and we were there at 8:05; there must have been 30 people there already. We bought 27 plants: hostas, cora bells, African “love grass,” and some great ferns. We then spent the afternoon planting everything; working hard to beat the rain.

Last weekend was pretty full—on Friday our friends, Donna and Mary, came in to join in celebrating our mutual friend Amy’s successful defense of her dissertation!!! We joined her, her partner, and 13 of their closest friends at Watershed for celebratory drinks and dinner, after which all joined us at the house. It was a great impromptu party. Mr. Man and 15 women (13 of whom are lesbians). It was fabulous!

On Saturday, Donna and Mary, and Mr. Man and I, along with another high school friend, Janine, drove down to Macon for their 30th High School Reunion. I’m not sure why people attend these events... curiousity maybe? Donna and Janine were very nervous. Donna because she was bringing her life partner and publicly stating to her classmates that she is a lesbian, and Janine, well, I’m not sure why she was so nervous; she is thin (skinny even), beautiful and successful. They graduated from a relatively small class of approximately 75 people (compared to my graduating class of a few hundred). There was lots of hugging and “it’s so great to see you’s” from people who wouldn’t give David the time of day in high school, a slide presentation of senior year photos, a hor d’voures buffet, and an open bar. The three most asked questions were “Where do you live?,” “What do you do?,” and “Do you have any children?”

I’m cynical, I know, probably because you couldn’t pay me to go to my high school reunion. I went to my five year, which only served to reinforce that moving away from Plant City, Florida was the best decision I ever made (well, second best, after the decision to marry Mr. Man). The only thing I have in common with anyone I went to high school with is that we went to the same high school. Luckily for Mr. Man, Donna and Janine they made a lasting connection that few of us make in childhood... I envy them.

No comments:

Post a Comment