Monday, January 17, 2011

NO H8, Just Love

Yesterday I attended a photo shoot for the NO H8 Campaign in Atlanta with my daughter, who is a lesbian.  As a heterosexual, with all the rights that allows me, I feel compelled to support those who are denied these same rights.  So, Amanda and I headed to the W Hotel in midtown to wait, along with several hundred others, for our turn to have our photo taken with the NO H8 tattoo on our
faces and duct tape on our mouths.

At one point, we were sitting on a couch talking to another mother and daughter (neither of whom is gay) when a gay couple joined us.  One of them asked me why I was willing to wait for hours to have my picture made.  I answered “to show my support.”

What I should have said was, “for my daughter…for my brother…for my friends…for you and for every LGBT person, because I believe they deserve the same rights I do.”

That’s really why I was there.  Amanda didn’t ask me to join her at this event, I asked her to join me.

We waited for 4 hours to have our picture made, which lasted all of a couple minutes.  But, it was worth it.  Not only did this give us a chance to spend some time together, but we felt a part of something so much bigger than ourselves; being in that room with so many likeminded others, gay and straight, felt right. There was nowhere else I would have rather been.  And, to put icing on the cake, I had my NO H8 tattoo applied by our Rabbi.  Sometimes separate pieces of our lives collide in the most wonderful ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment